Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Illustrating Children's books

Illustrating children's books is a fascinating visual world. Though the distinction between high art and commercial art continues to plague the art world, to me, a painting in a children's book is an artwork in its own right. The fine lines between the imaginative and the real, the abstraction of forms and characters, the sense of conversation and the intensity of perception that a picture in the children's book is filled with amazes me. The narrative takes on myriad meanings with the transforming visuals in the book. It's a wonder why we don't make more picture books for adults, where abstract ideas and thoughts get illustrated and find their own visual forms.

2 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Blogger LostBob said...

It may be Karma, I just posted a bit about Dr. Seuss where I mentioned Mark Ludy's wordless picture book, The Flower Man.
His artwork is beautiful. It's a children's book for adults.

After posting, I clicked the next blog button and landed here.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Uma Balu said...

Hi Srivi,
I was looking for an illustrator and happened to see your blog. There is so much in common between us - I have been associated with Katha and won awards for translations;Chinese and Russian books are my favourites, right from childhood;we both are interested in writing children's books! Would you be interested in working with me on a series of folktales?
Uma
blackdrongo@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home