Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Favourites from Amar Chitra Katha, Yusuf Lien

http://www.amarchitrakatha.com/store/mainpage.asp
Amar Chitra Katha is a comic book series from India Stories from Indian mythology, history, folklore, and culture are narrated in illustrated format. Dad used to get Amar chitra kathas at the sunday market for 25 paise. We have bought most books in second hand since it is affordable and buying at a lower price also meant we could get more books. Amar chitra katha was always the best resort to read hundreds of Indian tales, especially twenty years ago when the Indian children's book scene was just beginning to evolve.

Tansen (Script : Dolly Rizvi) and Mirabai (Script : Kamala Chandrakant) illustrated by Yusuf Lien have moved my sensibilities and understanding of visuals for many years. Flowing forms, intertwining and evolving into spiritual motifs allowed me to feel and move into a greater depth in understanding poetry, music, love and relationships. Yusuf lien's illustrations made me feel very close to Mira and tansen as children and I was able to relate and imagine the story as it unravelled into different dimensions. As a child the wonder created by visuals often moved me to silent ecstatic hours of imagination and solitude. Lien's illustration where Krishna holds Mira on the river bank captures a beautiful moment of love, surrender, acceptance and joy.

9 Comments:

At 6:04 AM, Blogger Najiba said...

Hi, I am very happy that you are a Fan of My father's art. Yes, I am Yusuf Lien's Daughter.

He has given up drawing living beings as its 'Haraam'(forbidden) in Islaam, But his art continues... in the form of Calligraphy...

Adios

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I too am fan of my mamu and miss him.He is soooooooooooooo talented
nobody can match hiiiiiiim.He is simply gr8.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Preeti said...

I'm a fan of the illustrations done by Yusuf Lien. I grew up reading Amar Chitra Katha. Tansen adn Mira Bai were the best. In fact these books encouraged me to try my hand at drawing when I was a kid.
His illustrations were so moving, depicting the right emotions and actions. I'm amazed by how much he could put in those pictures.

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger Shalim M Hussain said...

I have always believed that if there was one Indian contender for the Comics Oscar (if there is anything of that sort),it was Yusuf Lien's 'Mirabai'. The centrefold of the ACK issue where Krishna passes a hand around Mira's neck, then supports her and holds up her chin was one of the best best illustrations I have ever seen.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger wnamrata said...

what a great artist he is!!! its sad that he has given up his best gift...by Allah.....his art. i think he is the best illustrator of amar chitra katha. how can such divine art be 'haraam'???? may Allah bless him always.....

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger sandhiya said...

Yes forever inscribed in memory and yet to find any artist who can draw Mira like that again!

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks all of you. I haven't visited my blog in a long time. It was such a pleasure to read these comments. Najiba, how wonderful to hear from you! Whenever I feel low, I think of the beautiful art your father has created and spend time looking at the pictures again. Do give my regards to him. Is there any place we can look at his calligraphy?

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Is he still around? Would really like to me a evolved man like Yusuf L!

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Najiba said...

yes very much around... but he is into Islamic Calligraphy these days. We will soon have his instagram account up. do follow it and share. I will update details here very soon.

Best regards,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home